Wild tusker electrocuted in tribal village near Coimbatore
The News Minute
September 16, 2023
A wild tusker was electrocuted in Appanur near Coimbatore on Friday,
September 15. A male elephant which was on the search for food entered a
tribal village Appanur near Anaikatti hills of Coimbatore. The tusker came
in contact with low-lying live wire of a power line after trying to enter
the village late at night. Tribespeople rushed to the spot after hearing
the trumpeting of the tusker and found it dead.
Tribespeople of Appanur paid the floral homage to the tusker. They also
alerted the Agali forest department. A preliminary investigation by forest
officials revealed that the height of the live wire was not raised to
ensure the safe passage of elephants and the tusker was electrocuted after
it came into contact with it. Forest officials have summoned electricity
department officials for further inquiry.
A 2023-24 policy note by the state’s Energy Department had stated that 79
elephants have been electrocuted in Tamil Nadu in the past 10 years. Out of
them, 48 deaths (61%) occurred due to illegal electrical fences. The
remaining deaths happened when elephants pulled tree branches near
transmission lines or hit electric poles.