Tusker dies due to electrocution in Nilgiris
November 17, 2023
A male wild elephant was electrocuted and found dead in the Gudalur area of
Nilgiris district, officials said on Friday.
The carcass of the elephant was discovered by the forest officials.
As per reports from Rajesh Kumar, a veterinary assistant surgeon, the
elephant died due to electrocution.
According to Forest Range Officer, Gudalur Division, the elephant died
after it came into contact with an electric board line installed in the
"The tusker pushed the tree and came in contact with the EB line, after
which he got electrocuted and died in the agricultural patta land in
Gudalur," said the forest officer.
A post-mortem investigation has been arranged and it will be conducted by
Dr Rajesh Kumar, veterinary assistant surgeon in the presence of NGOs.
A proper inspection is underway by the District Forest officer in the
A detailed report into the death of the animal will be submitted after
conducting the post-mortem. Further details into the matter are awaited.